Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Macaroni Grill

About a month after Grace was born we were in Arizona visiting the kids.  We were waiting in line for a table at the Macaroni Grill in Avondale, a new little town west of Phoenix where our son and his wife Jennifer lived, about a 3 hour drive from our home in the desert in Southern California.  

We were all leaning against the wall on the ramp across from the deli case waiting for a table.  I stood between Ron and Daniel- Grace between us in her car seat on the floor, asleep.  Jen was next to Dan and we were just trying to stay out of the way while we waited.  It was loud and crowded, we were patient.

We’d been there for a little while when I heard the front door swish open and I noticed a couple coming in.  Without really looking directly at them I did notice something was not right,  the symmetry was off.  They went directly into the bar and set at the far end of the U shaped counter.  When they got settled and I heard the bartender take their order I turned completely around to look.  I was right, the man, about 40, had one arm that was short with a hand that wasn’t completely formed.  

I was still trying to process our new reality, still stuck in the stage of tears, heart break and trying to make some sense of it all.  I wanted to talk to this guy.  I wanted to ask him what, I didn’t know, I thought I’d slide by him and if I chickened out the restroom was near so I could just duck in there.

Instead I just walked directly up to him and with no prepared question or statement what came out of my mouth was a surprise to me as well as unexpected by he and his lady friend.  

I stood next to him, “Excuse me, I don’t mean to offend you in any way but we’re out to dinner with our kids and our first granddaughter who was born a month ago.  She has no hands and no forearms.  I am worried and I can’t stop crying.  Do you have something to tell me?

He looked at me kindly as did his companion, wife? coworker? first date?  I didn’t care I just needed to know what he obviously already had learned in life.

What he said to me was this.  " I have been around handicapped people all my life and the human spirit is incredible.  She will amaze you!"

What he said to me, I have since learned for myself to be true.

2 comments: